Love it!

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Lessons from a Former Teacher Part One

I know I talk about my family and being an entrepreneur but what you guys don't know about me is that I taught high school English for six years.  (Note: Don't judge me for any grammatical errors or my use of conversational English. Let's just have fun.). But yes, I taught high school English and yes, it is as bad as people say it is.  I won't say in what ways (yet) but just know that it is.

I recently ran across an article on Career Builder that stated that " 'C' students, research has shown, become the bosses of the 'A' students, run the world, and bounce back faster from setbacks." When I thought of George Bush being elected TWICE, I couldn't argue with that claim.

The author asserts that C students are more practical thinkers.  They learn more from the world than books. These were the students who questioned having to learn syntax and read Shakespeare.  They thrived on my class discussions and had no desire for dictation.  These were the students who considered going to college but couldn't really see the benefit of working so hard to get in, so they procrastinated and hustled their last semester to complete application packets.  They didn't study for tests; they shot straight from the hip (i.e. whatever they remembered).   For them, grades did not matter as long as it reflected they had learned something.  And this is what makes them the bosses of 'A' students.  They are ok with some failure and/or not being the best in school.

My 'A' students, like myself, were consumed with being the best...in school. Everything taught in school was important.  They didn't question it because they were going to do it anyway.  If it was taught in school then it most certainly be important for life.

Though education does not guarantee success, it does grant you access to opportunity.  But I am also know that knowing the right people grants you access as well.  And while the 'A' student is engaging the text, the 'C' student is engaging people and finding out what makes them tick.  While the 'A' student is building molecular models, the 'C' student is building relationships.  In short, the 'A' student works largely in theory and the 'C' student works in reality and practicality.  Hence, the 'C' student knows how to manage people ('A' students) who build successful businesses for them.

Agree or disagree? Let me know what you think below.

 Until my next post.... I wish you peace, patience and prosperity.

No comments:

Post a Comment