Love it!

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

3 Myths About Working from Home

True story: Whenever I tell a work-away-from-home mom that my kids are home with me, they always say "Must be nice" or "I wish I could" That drives me nuts!!!!! Like everything, it has its pros and cons.

They have NO idea. Neither did I when I taught high school and wanted to be home with first son.  So I thought I'd use entry to debunk some of those work-from-home myths.


MYTH 1: You get to spend more time with your kids
You do spend more time with your kids but that also means you spend ALL of your time with your kids.  Though you get to really learn your kids' personalities and see their growth,  you also have to create a work schedule around those little personalities.  If you can, I suggest getting a sitter a few hours a day to get those crucial work tasks done.  You can also designate one day as a "serious work day" where you complete those major tasks for the week including any meetings, errands, phone calls, etc.  You can utilize a drop-in daycare. (I do).  You can have work-from-home job and be with your kids but, as you can see, it requires a schedule.


MYTH 2:  You have to be a salesperson to be successful
Home-based businesses come in all sizes, shapes, and flavors. While plenty of home-based sales opportunities exist — selling cosmetics and telemarketing, for example — that kind is just a small percentage of the entire universe of home-based businesses. Consider the following nonsales businesses and careers that can be done from home:
  • Accountant
  • Organic farmer
  • Caterer
  • Personal fitness trainer
  • Income tax preparer
  • Web site designer
In each case, you could build a successful business with little or no sales experience.  But you still must market your business.  Remember that there is a difference between marketing and selling.  Marketing is simply spreading the word about your service/product, which is crucial to every business.  Selling is convincing someone that they should pay for your product/service.  By doing great work or creating the best products, your first customers will tell their friends and associates, who will then tell their friends and associates.


MYTH 3: Work-from-home jobs that aren't free are scams
I know someone who went to work for American Express from home for $10 an hour with the chance to advance to $13. Not only was she chained to her desk from 6AM til 11PM at night sometimes, but she needed to install a landline, have a specific speed on her computer and a headset. So she ended up spending $150 to set that up.  She basically worked for free for two days.   With ANY at-home job, there are expenses for set up.

One of the companies I currently work for only requires a one-time set-up fee of $25 (sometimes less).  We have NO special equipment expenses and our start up cost actually gets you some cool stuff to try out and some to keep like Baby Einstein for $6.  I work for another company that has a one-time cost of $8.

I have a few other myths to discuss so until my next post, I wish you peace, patience and prosperity.

No comments:

Post a Comment